The Pillars of Heaven
Dragons are consumed by a search for power all their centuries-long lives. Not just evil dragons either. Whether it be gleaming gold or hissing black, the scale always seeks out means through which it may grow in glory.
- The wyrmling seeks food, so its body may grow more powerful.
- The young dragon seeks wealth, so it may own the instruments of power.
- The adult dragon seeks followers and territory, so it might consolidate its power over others.
- The old dragon seeks allies and knowledge, to gain the power to change the world it lives in.
- The Great Wyrm, at last, possesses all the power it could wish, and finally seeks to bring about its will using this amassed strength.